🌟 Proactive Career Management ~ 10 Key elements for your 2019 Career Plan
On one of my daily walks, my wellbeing-fix, a tiny stone found its way into my walking shoes. Despite knowing what to do to remove it and the discomfort experienced, I walked for about 4 kilometres with it until I got home. I don’t have a convincing response to: why Ennie?. I pushed it to the front, to the back, sideways and even attempted at some point to have it nicely settle in the groove of my foot for a while. Despite knowing what to do, I just didn’t stop and deal with it🙈.
Many of us, when it comes to intentional career planning and proactive career management, plus taking disciplined action, we sadly behave like me and my tiny stone incident. We know what we need to do, or where to get support, but we shift tasks related to our career plans down the to do list, back up, then onto a side post-it note, and after a while to some discreet part of our lives to gather dust. Then when an opportunity comes or we are forced to look for a new job we are simply not well positioned to put our best foot forward. We make excuses, procastinate, we practice avoidance, we partly implement plans, we are not accountable to self or others, we deprioritise ourselves and in the end we miss out. We sadly consciously or unconsciously sabotage ourselves.
To assess how do you currently measure up, below I offer a career self-coaching guide in the form of a 10 Point Proactive Career Management Checklist, which could guide your 2019 career planning priorities. If you answer YES to any of the assessment areas, then there is no need for you to act on it. If you answer MAYBE/partly or NO, then consider taking action in that area. Checklist self-assessment areas –
1. I am ~ Self-aware, I am clear about who I am if asked, what I like and don’t like in career options, what I’m good at, what I want to achieve long-term and short-term in 2019 = your career goals.
2. I have ~ a recently developed and/or updated Career Development Plan that states my vision, purpose, values, career goals and actions. I am also clear about obstacles that I face or can face and I have a plan of how to address these.
3. I do ~ regular Career Research to know and keep track of trends in my sector, opportunities in my workplace and can tap into the hidden job market or create my own career opportunities e.g. I am positioned to be self-employed.
4. I have ~ up to date Work Search Skills and Package, which includes a January 2019 updated CV/resume, sample Cover letters, LinkedIn profile and I regularly do Interview practice.
5. I have ~ a Career Portfolio that contains lifelong evidence of my knowledge, skills, experience, competencies, achievements, awards and recognition.
6. I have ~ a Personal Brand that I actively work on, I use my voice to promote my ideas in person and online, and I can market myself. I am a recognised Expert in my field.
7. I consistently ~ Learn Daily, regularly Share Knowledge, and develop Core skills – both technical and soft skills. I also know how to acquire any work experience (paid or unpaid) to support my career goals.
8. I have ~ an active Personal and Professional Network that I nurture and check in with regularly. I can activate leads through family, friends, mentors, coaches, advisors, peers and sponsors in my network anytime.
9. I have ~ knowledge and skills for Career and Life management. I practice self-care; work-life harmony and as Social Contribution – I help others to learn and develop in their careers or life as well.
10. I effectively manage ~ any Career and Life management soft issues = such as self-limiting beliefs about my capacity, managing my inner critic, my past, low self esteem, imposter syndrome, limited confidence etc. I address quickly ~ any toxic work environment or relationship issues.
How did you measure up? ~ number of 💯% YES answers out of 10?
Remember, anything that was a MAYBE or NO, consider including that in your 2019 Career Development Plan.
Do you need and want support with proactive career planning and management to accompany you in 2019? If yes, well, let’s shake things up together in 2019. An offer of help is here…it’s up to you to: stop, take it and make use of it as necessary.
🔅 Read the CAREER COACHING blog posts, engage, ask questions and utilise resources.
🔅 Commit to CAREER SELF-COACHING using resources and tips shared.
🔅 For more resources follow my BLOG: https://ennielifecoach.com or Facebook Page: https//www.facebook.com/EnnieLifeCoach/
🔅 Sign up for monthly Career Planning WEBINARS whose goal is to equip you to: “Coach Yourself in Careers and Life”.
Take action and make 2019 a different year…in a good way.
Life and Career Coach🔥